Videogame book club

Hey everyone,

I’d like to try running a video game book club for everyone here on the IWG forum. To start I’m gonna play “10 Beautiful Postcards.”

You can find “10 Beautiful Postcards” on itchio.

And you can find out more about the creators on the game’s website.

Then in two weeks I’d love to discuss the game with whoever else has also played 10 Beautiful Postcards!

For the next game, depending on peoples’ interest, I would love to select the next game as a group.

2 Likes

ohh man!!! the craziest thing to me about this game is that it’s a new thecatamites release that i somehow didn’t immediately download. so this is honestly a really good chance to dive into it. Im remembering having written about this guy’s games back in high school for an art history class haha, i wonder if i can dig that up just to see how fanatic i was at the time. im super down to discuss basically anything by thecatamites so count me in

2 Likes

Should we wait two weeks to start discussing? Or can we present our impressions as they occur and discuss them?
I do have a preference, but I just joined so I want to follow the crowd a bit.

2 Likes

For this first game I’d like to wait two weeks to discuss 10 beautiful postcards. Since the club is just starting I wouldn’t want to have someone stumble on discussion when they are just looking for the name of the game. For the next game we can make separate threads so people can jump into discussion right away!

Also I really appreciate you being considerate and asking about the way things flow here!

2 Likes

yesss I am extremely in

1 Like

oops you spelled it ‘video game’ not ‘videogame’ - luckily im an admin so i just went and fixed it for you nw

3 Likes

Took me a while to boot it up but this game is absolutely wild??? I know it’s not discussion time yet but, yeah, Cool Videogame.

2 Likes

Instead of a few days it has been more like 40 days since the 10 Beautiful Postcards discussion thread started. I’m super sorry to have put things on hold for so long. Things were hectic for the month and I regret that I couldn’t give these forums some attention.

All that said, I’m still super interested in continuing the videogame book club if anyone else is? If anyone would like to change the format please tell us your preferences below. I’d like to have everyone decide on the next game we play! We could all nominate a game and play the one with the most votes? Or everyone could take a turn choosing three or four games and everyone else would vote on one? Or any other process that people would like?

Also should we set up the next discussion thread immediately with a spoiler warning in the title? That way people can share their thoughts as soon as they are ready.

1 Like

Hmm I’ve been meaning to play Lucah: Born of a Dream.

1 Like

I’d be up for joining in this next time as well! Lucah looks good, would also be down for an excuse to check out Anodyne 2.

2 Likes

Loved ano2 and would be happy to have a place to talk about it

Both anodyne 2 and lucah are on my list so i’m in for either! I also meant to check Overseas out http://overseas.digital/
Overseas is probably a shorter experience than either other games though - it’s a collection of short things, i’ve already played La Forêt from it and it’s very much a walking sim, i expect the rest is similar in terms of scope.

2 Likes

Hello. I joined here after hearing about the VGBC from the re:bind discord.

I’d be very interested in joining the club. I don’t have a strong preference for any of the suggested games, though Anodyne 2 is one I’ve already started.

2 Likes

I’m glad people are still interested! You can vote on the nominees below. The poll will close Sunday, October 20th at 12 pm PST, and I’ll set up a discussion thread with “spoilers” in the title soon after.

• Lucah: Born of a Dream
  • Anyodyne 2
  • Overseas

0 voters

Lucah: Born of a Dream
Anyodyne 2
Overseas

1 Like

Sweet, looks like Lucah! Welcome rng!

1 Like

Heads up for folks who want in and haven’t bought the game yet: it’s in the itch.io halloween bundle, 7 bucks for Lucah + a bunch of other games that are probably good (idk i haven’t played them (what are videogames))
https://itch.io/b/382/halloween-itchio-selects-2019

2 Likes

Thanks @polclarissou for letting us know! That is fantastic timing :star_struck: If the other games are interesting we could put them in contention for the next book club game!

1 Like

Hi all! Have been following for a bit but decided to make an account since you chose my game to discuss! Let me know if you have any questions, otherwise I’d be happy to see your thoughts! Also definitely recommend Anodyne 2 for a future game book club, it’s one of the best games I’ve had the pleasure to play recently.

3 Likes

Oh woah welcome! Thanks for joining!

1 Like

It is high time we had another game for videogame book club! Again:

If there is a game that you have been dying to play or desperate to talk about please submit it to the vote.

Also thanks for everyone who has been participating! Talking at length about videogames (or any media) isn’t something I get very often and I really enjoy hearing peoples’ thoughts.

1 Like