What's good art tho

General media recommendation thread!

Some starters from me ~

Zoe and I are reading Ursula K. Le Guin’s Earthsea Cycle (currently both midway through book 5) and WOW cannot recommend strongly enough!! So magical and engrossing, so well paced, such incredible prose, such strong ideas and images and characters and just, everything. Really inspired by it.

Recently (like a few months ago) played Even the Ocean by Sean Han Tani + Marina Kittaka and really can’t stop thinking about it or telling people to play it. I wish it were longer but I got a few really lovely Saturday mornings out of it. Been meaning to go check out their previous thing Anodyne, but I sit at my keyboard all day so the lack of controller support’s stopping me for now.

Spent this morning in Eastshade from Danny Weinbaum, Jaclyn Ciezadlo, Phoenix Glindinning, Daniel Merticariu, and I’m sure a bevy of others. It took me a few weeks to get into it but I kept coming back because it’s just so charming and exactly the pace I want from a game right now. Finally got past the opening town and looking forward to many future mornings just wandering around a forest picking mushrooms and painting landscapes for townspeople.

2 Likes

i’ve already raved about these on twitter but recently i’ve been absolutely ENTHRALLED by

ᵒᵗʰᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃⁿ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᶦ’ᵐ ᶜᵃᵗᶜʰᶦⁿᵍ ᵘᵖ ʷᶦᵗʰ ʳᶦᵛᵉʳᵈᵃˡᵉ ˡᵒˡ

2 Likes

The most recent book series I’ve loved is The Machineries Of Empire. The first book is Ninefox Gambit and it is an amazing sci-fi series! Great setting based off a non-western fictional future.

The video game I’ve been enjoying lately is Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. But I won’t try to proselytize From Software games to anyone :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Oh! I’m currently reading a book of short stories by Cory Doctorow called Radicalized. The first story starts with the protagonist jail-breaking her toaster because it would only accept authorized bread.

I also played some of Subnautica: Below Zero. It’s early development but they are blocking out content in such a way that it’s basically a finished game as long as you don’t stray too far out/progress the story too far. It’s shaping into something really good.

2 Likes

@polclarissou I love Studio Oleomingus’ whole thing so much, and In the Pause was so good. I try to keep a list of faves on itch.io and that was a recent addition.

@Sigil I can’t believe I have been told so many times to play Subnautica and still haven’t. Kind of embarrassed lol. Maybe this’ll be my next weekend morning videogame :snowflake::ocean: - assuming there’s no expectation to play the original first?

@badru I would recommend playing the original, It’s a complete game (Below Zero is not), Sets up a lot of details about the world, and still a recent enough that they’re reusing some of the assets in Below Zero. It’s also a really great game!

1 Like

listening to the whole Holly Herndon album now that it came out today and it’s sooo gooood

I’m working my way through the history of Hugo Award nominees and I would strongly recommend pretty much all of them. Specifically I would say the Imperial Radch trilogy is so well written and set in an absolutely delightful world.

Also I recently listened to Remains of the Day and it reminded me that everything Kazuo Ishiguro writes is so deep and rich. I can’t pull my thoughts away from his books days after finishing.

1 Like

A breath of fresh air!!

1 Like